On March 30th, 2016. the government of the Republic of Croatia has decided to implement Smart specialization strategy for Croatia from 2016. to 2020. and Action plan for implementation of Smart Specialization Strategy from 2016.-2017. The strategy is one of the preconditions for withdrawing resources from EU funds, and it contains goals and priority activities linked to research, development, and innovation commercialization.
This document is a response to the document from European commission – Strategy Europe 2020 and one of the key preconditions for resource withdrawal from European structural and investment fund within Thematic objective 1: Enhancing research, technological development and innovation of Operational program ‘’Competitiveness and Cohesion” 2014.-2020.
Smart Specialization strategy of the Republic of Croatia from 2016.-2020. can be downloaded HERE (in Croatian only).
Main objective: guiding capacities in the knowledge and innovation field towards areas of highest potential in order to initiate development and transformation of the economy based on activities of research, development, and innovation.
6 strategic objectives:
• Capacity enhancement for research, development and innovation for reaching scientific excellence and to complete economic needs
• Overcoming the fragmentation in innovation value chain and the gap between research and business sector
• Modernization and diversification of Croatian economy through increase of private research and development
• Improvement of position in global value chains and internationalization of Croatian economy
• Establishment of cooperative relationship regarding social challenges
• Smart skills build-up – enhancement of existing and new labour force for smart specialization
5 thematic and 13 sub-thematic priority areas:
Health and quality of life: (1) pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, medical equipment and devices; (2) health services and new methods of preventive medicine and diagnostics; (3) nutrition
Energy and sustainable environment: (1) energy technologies, systems, and equipment; (2) environment-friendly technologies, equipment and advanced materials
Transport and mobility: (1) Added value manufacturing of road and rail vehicles parts and systems; (2) Environment-friendly transport solutions; (3) Intelligent transport systems and logistics
Security: (1) Cyber Security; (2) Defence dual-use; (3) Mine action program
Food and bioeconomy: (1) Sustainable food production and processing; (2) Sustainable wood production and processing